Volunteer with us
Dumfries and Galloway Hard of Hearing Group operates across Dumfries and Galloway offering a care and maintenance service for hearing aids, through drop-in sessions, care home visits and one-to-one home visits. In the last year we have seen over 5000 service users. We are only able to operate due to the support of our volunteers:
Do you have some free time? Would you like to meet new people, learn something new and make a difference?
If so, volunteering could be for you.
All training will be provided and all expenses will be paid.
Member of the Board of Trustees
To represent the wider community of interest and enable the organisation to deliver it’s objectives for the organisation’s users, staff, volunteers and funders.
- Approve the organisation’s mission statement and review the organisation’s performance in achieving it.
- Annually assess the changing environment and approve the organisation’s one-year operational plan.
- Annually review and approve the organisation’s three-year strategy.
- Review and approve the organisation’s three-year financial goals.
- Annually review and approve the organisation’s budget.
- Approve major policies.
- Be assured that management succession is being properly provided.
- Be assured that the organisational strength and staffing is equal to the requirements of the long-range goals.
- Approve appropriate salaries, terms and conditions of service for all staff.
- Put forward names of prospective members of the Board of Trustees and fill vacancies as needed.
- Annually approve the performance of the Board of Trustees and take steps (including composition, organisation and responsibilities) to improve its performance.
- Review the results achieved by the staff and volunteer team in relation to the organisation’s aims and objectives, annual and long-range goals and the performance of similar projects.
- Be certain that the financial structure of the organisation is adequate for its current needs and its long-range strategy.
- Provide candid and constructive criticism, advice, comments and praise.
- Approve major actions of the organisation, such as capital expenditure on all items over authorised limits and major changes in activities and services.
- Be assured that the Board of Trustees is adequately and currently informed – through reports and other methods – of the condition of the organisation and its operations.
- Be assured that published reports adequately reflect the nature of the services and the financial condition of the organisation.
- Appoint independent auditors subject to approval by members.
- Review the compliance with relevant laws affecting the organisation.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application form or for more information.
Join our office team in Dumfries to help our staff to create the statistical information necessary to support our funding applications, to provide vital information to volunteers and service users and to raise money through donations.
What will you do?
With a good eye for detail, you will be responsible for collating the data sheets completed by our Volunteers at our Drop-Ins, Home Visits and Care Homes and then, carefully inputting this service user data into our statistical databases using Microsoft Excel.
Using Microsoft Publisher and Word you will be responsible for editing, printing, copying, cutting and laminating our posters and advertising materials. These materials will be used to publicise our drop-in services and give our service users vital information.
Raising money is so important for our organisation and we raise donations by distributing collecting tins to local takeaways and newsagents and on occasion, by sending letters to local firms to request donations.
You will be responsible for collecting our community donation tubs every 3 months and will contribute to counting the money, bagging it up, taking it to the bank, writing thank you cards on Microsoft Word and redistributing the tubs back into the community. You will use Excel databases to log financial information.
You will be responsible for sending pre-written letters to targeted local businesses to ask for donations.
What will you get?
- The opportunity to be part of an enthusiastic team of over 60 volunteers across Dumfries and Galloway, who want to help people living with a hearing loss.
- A great experience whilst raising money to help people living with a hearing loss in your area.
- Microsoft office skills using Word, Excel and Publisher.
- Cash handling experience.
- Experience of working for a Third Sector organisation.
- A reference for future job applications.
- An opportunity to meet other volunteers across the region during social events.
- Invited to our Christmas lunch.
- Out of pocket expenses.
- Full training provided
How much time should I give?
We ask for a minimum of 2 hours per week.
Contact Sian or Carrie on 01387 950641 or email email@example.com to find out more and receive an application form.